Thursday, July 19, 2007

We're having another baby!



There I was, milking one of our dairy goats when I heard the tell-tale 'cheep cheep' of a new arrival. Up tho this point we have been hatching our guinea fowl keets in an incubator. Last month, when one of our Orpington laying hens went broody we shoved a few guinea eggs under her. Apparently she did a great job.

I looked up to see the adult guineas intently gazing at something on the ground. There amid them was a small fuzzy child hobbling about. I scooped her up and deposited her into my shirt pocket while I finished milking. It was a very "Farmer-in the dell" moment.

Since then the good mother has hatched us three more little ones and they are now safely tucked in our brooder, fletching out their wings and keeping me awake all night... much like my first child.

No comments:

Post a Comment