Tuesday, July 03, 2007

These are a few of my favorite things...

I'm currently plodding through The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. It's a method of unblocking one's creativity by journaling and self-reflection. The twelve week 'course' has turned into fourteen with no end in sight as I can't seem to designate enough time to finishing. Anyway, one of the assignments is to list favorite things as positive touchstones in one's life. Trying to get this blog off the ground I will endeavor to list some of my interests as a kind of intro to my world.

I Love CLAY...throwing it, sculpting and firing it, gazing at it. It is safe to say that ceramic art feeds my soul. I discovered it in 2001 taking a wheel-throwing class for the first time, I sat down at the wheel, putting my hands to the clay and realized that this was something I wanted to do, always.

I enjoy GARDENING. There is tremendous satisfaction gleaned from planning the garden in the cold of Winter, starting seedlings in March, planting, dividing and watching the garden unfold as the season progresses. I feel giddy when I prepare a meal with our homegrown veggies.

I like TEACHING. I've worked with at-risk high school kids. I've taught art to the willing. It's hard but almost thrilling when you tap a flow in class, when somehow you are able to pour your enthusiasm into your students, and they gulp it down and ask for more.

I like COOKING. I love food. Preparing it well is a skill I practice and refine as the years go by. I don't think I really became successful at cooking until my final year in college. From that point on I've broadened my horizons trying different foods and experimenting in my own kitchen.

TEXTILE ARTS has always been a passion. My grandmother drilled my childhood hands in various needle crafts and fabric arts, ranging from counted cross-stitch to sewing to weaving. She stopped short of spinning wool and I plan to learn that craft as well.

I like...AUTUMN, CHEESE, FLANNEL, LILAC, CALIFORNIA, THE OCEAN

Well, there's a slice. I think its important to remember what makes you grin...and then DO IT!

Oh yes! I would be remiss if I didn't list my husband and son as favorite forces in my current life.

No comments:

Post a Comment